Saturday, February 24

Conversational Topic #5 - "Cacoethes scribendi"

As some of you know, I have a disposition towards writing. I like describing events of my own creation with my style, a odd mixture of detail and sarcastic humor, despite receiving an engineering education (My math is terrible). I can't seem to get the "bad habit of writing" out.

Even without paper or a computer, the blank look I put on when commuting or otherwise bored usually hides a little game. I take some objects around me, and craft it into a short story. The story would be influenced by my mood, varying between Greek Tragedy-like stories or a brainless story with mildly entertaining moments. This results in a near-arrogant belief that I can judge any plot with decent accuracy, as after discarding many bad tales of my own creation, I find certain themes in recent-day stories... cliché.

While I'm all for re-using certain old gags or plot elements, people realise the similarity soon enough. By the same token, people know when they see something fresh. Some writers in popular fiction, or even some TV shows, are guilty, in my opinion, of disregarding this. While old ideas are proven, beating a dead horse like this would not get you much in the future, I assure you.

Anyway, I'll try to write on this blog when I'm too lazy to drabble on about whatever that comes up during the week.

By The Dolphin


"Cover up with make up in the mirror,
tell yourself, it's never gonna happen again;
you cry alone and then he swears he loves you.

Do you feel like a man when you push her around?
Do you feel better now as she falls to the ground?
Well I'll tell you my friend, one day this world's going to end,
as your lies crumble down, a new life she has found."

The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus-Don't You Fake It-Face Down

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home